Connect with us


Sundowns Crowned MTN 8 Champions

Mamelodi Sundowns beat Cape Town City 3-2 on penalties after the scores were tied at 1-1 after extra-time to win the MTN Cup Final at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday night.

The goals were scored by Thopelo Morena for Sundowns in the first-half and Fargie Lakay got the equalizer for Cape Town City late in the game.

Sundowns started the better of the two teams and nearly opened the scoring in the tenth minute when Peter Shalulile met a right wing cross with a superb diving header that went over the bar.

City had a chance four minutes later when Mduduzi Mdantsane tried his luck from a distance, but saw his stinging effort brilliantly saved by Denis Onyango.

Sundowns went ahead on the 24th minute when Kutumela won possession by pressing high on the right wing and showed great composure to pick out Morena, who fired into an empty net.

After that the game took a bit of scrappy turn as both teams squandered possession with poor passing and bad decision making.

Consequently, chances on goal were few and far between as Sundowns entered the half time break 1-0 up.

City came out attacking in the second half and came close to equalising in the 58th minute when a 16-yard volley from Craig Martin was parried away from goal by Onyango.

Lakay picked up the loose ball thereafter and squared for Ralani, but he skewed his shot wide with an empty net at his mercy.

City  made their second half pressure pay off in the 74th minute when Lakay beat two players on his way into the box before clipping the ball into the back of the net with ease, 1-1.

Sundowns almost took the lead in the 81st minute when Peter Shalulie struck the woodwork from 20-yards out.

The first period of extra-time again saw Sundowns dictating terms and controlling possession, but again they were unable to take their chances in front of goal.

The closest City came to scoring was a long range shot from Terrence Mashengo in the 104th minute, but Onyango was up for the challenge and made a fantastic acrobatic save.

City were reduced to ten on the 108th minute when Idumba Masika received marching orders for second bookable offence.

The second half of extra saw no chances on goal and the game finished 1-1 after 120 minutes. That saw the match move into a penalty shoot-out.

Denis Onyango was the hero as he saved five penalties, including in the sudden death, as Peter Shalulile scored the decisive spot-kick and the Ugandan saved Mkhize’s last kick to hand Sundowns the title.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »