Connect with us


PSL: Depleted Kaizer Chiefs Beat Sekhukhune United

Covid-hit Kaizer Chiefs beat Sekhukhune United 2-0 in an Absa Premiership match played at FNB Stadium on Sunday night.

The result, secured by Nkosingiphile Ngcobo and Phathutshedzo Nange, saw the Amakhosi move to 23 points out of possible 42 this season and move to second at the half way point of the league campaign.

Table leaders Mamelodi Sundowns are 12 points ahead after winning on Saturday, while Sekhukhune drop to sixth position following the loss to Chiefs on Sunday.

Kaizer Chiefs have been hit hard by Covid-19 after 36 members of the club’s staff tested positive for Covid-19 last week.

The first clear chance of the match went the way of  Sekhukhune  in the seventh minute, with Chawapihwa’s low cross from the left swept on target by Katsande, but ‘Amakhosi goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi made an excellent finger-tip save.

Chiefs then claimed the lead on the 23rd minutes, when Nkosingiphile Ngcobo found a pocket of space outside the box, turned and fired a powerful effort into the bottom left-hand corner.

Chiefs, despite holding the lead, struggled to find a rhythm to their passing and Sekhukhune were able to put them under some pressure through a combination of their direct play and occasional set pieces.

Yet the visitors were not able to call Akpeyi into significant action, with Daniel Cardoso doing a great job in quelling the threat of Sekhukhune striker Chawapihwa and ensuring his team went into the break 1-0 up.


Sekhukhune looked to press high up the field in the second half, working to prevent their opponents building from the back, and chances for the likes of Modansela and Katsande  began to flow.

Maart also had a free header at a corner kick on the hour mark, but the burly striker didn’t make a clean connection and his effort was comfortably collected by Akpeyi.

Chiefs’ first chance of the second stanza arrived in the 67th minute, with Siphosakhe Ntiya-Ntiya teeing up Leonardo Castro, but the wingback dragged his attempt wide of the mark.

Sekhukhune nearly found an equalizer four minutes later but Katsande was denied by the upright, before Nxumalo hit the same post from the rebound.

The visitors threw numbers in search of an equaliser in the final 10 minutes, but they were unable to carve out a clear-cut chance.

Chiefs managed to get their second two minutes before the final whistle when Sekgota intercepted an awful pass from Nsabata before sending a pass to  Nkosingiphile Ngcobo, who put it on a platter for Phathutshedzo Nange to tap into an empty net.

How they lined up:

Chiefs XI: Akpeyi (40), Cardoso (4), Ngezana (30), Ntiya-Ntiya (36), Frosler (39), Dube (29), Blom (45), Nk Ngcobo (12), Mashiane (19), Parker (25), Castro (8)

Subs:  Bvuma (1), Mathoho (3), Mabiliso (26), Nange (24), Sekgota (14), Nj Ngcobo (27), McCarthy (46), Shabalala (42), Milazi (41)

Sekhukhune XI: Nsabata (1), Mobbie (42), Maart© (6), Motsepe (13),  Gyimah (39), Katsande (31), Jampies (21), Patjie (11), Rakhale (25), Nxumalo (22), Chawapihwa (27)

Subs: Kapini (17), Matona (14), Chabalala (29), Madonsela (5), Parusnath (26), Molaba (28), Mahlangu (35), Sibanyoni (23), Sithole (24)



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »