Connect with us


Horoya Bow Out In African Confederation Cup Semi-Final Stage

Horoya bow out in African Confederation Cup semi-final stage.

Horoya AC head coach Lamine Ndiaye covered his face with his hands, shook his head and then looked at the clear Casablanca sky as he was seeking divine intervention. He shrugged, shook his body like a toddler denied candy and kicked the air.

Even though he missed six of his first-team players after they tested positive of coronavirus, Ndiaye knew that the miss could be costly in the greater scheme of things. It proved to be the case as Horoya bowed out in the semifinals at the hands of Pyramids due to them not taking their chances.

The Conakry giants had done everything right in the first stanza and defended well but were let down in the later stages of the second stanza, soaking in goals from Ibrahim Hassan and Abdellah Said within a minute of each.

Mohammed Lamine had the game’s first meaningful effort on target in the 10th minute when his effort from range just cleared the crossbar.

Mahdi Soliman came to Pyramids’ rescue in the 15th minute, as he did well to keep out Dramane Nikiema’s strike from distance.

Horoya shot-stopper Moussa Camara had to be alert at the 25th minute, as he did well to save Abdallah El Said’s curling free-kick.

Pyramids’ first real chance arrived after 37 minutes as Eric Traore exchanged passes with El-Said and broke clear, squaring the ball to the onrushing Omar Gaber, whose low shot was cleared off the line by a defender.

That proved to be the final bit of goal-mouth action in the half, as the sides went into the break goalless.

Horoya continued to search for the opener in the second half and went close in the 51st minute when Ocansey Mandela forced Soliman into a finger-tip save.

Pyramids were awarded a penalty at the hour mark after Traore was pushed to the ground as he latched to onto a brilliant defence-splitting pass from El-Said but it was overruled after a VAR check.

Horoya went close to breaking the deadlock in the 67th minute as substitute Heritier Makambo turned his marker before firing a low effort just wide of the upright.

Pyramids opted for a change after 70 minutes as John Antwi made way for Ibrahim Hassan as they pushed for an opening goal.

The Egyptian outfit finally broke the deadlock in the 74th minute when Ibrahim Hassan converted Omar Saber’s through pass into the back of the net.

One minute later, El-Said placed his name on the score sheet when he cut inside and planted an unstoppable curling shot into the far corner of the net.

Horoya thought they would score a consolation from substitute Alseny Camara in the dying minutes of the match but it was also ruled out by VAR, for offside, after initially being awarded by the referee.

Pyramids will now meet Morocco’s Renaissance Berkane in the final set to be played at Rabat’s Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium on Sunday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »