Connect with us


Why the Nigerian Football League Has Been Suspended Indefinitely

The League Management Company has announced the indefinite suspension of the Nigeria Professional Football League.

The League Management Company has announced the indefinite suspension of the Nigeria Professional Football League which was scheduled to resume Tomorrow Wednesday 18th July after a one-month World Cup break.

According to the official letter delivered to all the 20 participating clubs and stake holders, the LMC Chief Operating Officer Salihu Abubakar attributed the suspension to uncertainty in the Nigerian football management following Chris Giwa’s takeover of the Nigeria Football Federation Headquarters.

“Kindly be informed that the League Management Company has reached a decision to postpone the resumption of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) indefinitely,” read a copy of the letter published on the Nigerian football website.

“The decision is based on the current adverse circumstances in the administration of football in the country as a result of which sponsors, partners and service providers have expressed strong concerns and are reviewing their involvement in the league.”

“There is therefore the need to engage them further in this regard in order to mitigate any possible adverse outcome. Furthermore, organising matches of the NPFL under the current circumstances might cause irreversible damage to the league brand.”

The letter further explained to clubs how a major partner who was invited at the last LMC general meeting had requested the execution of their contract as a result of the on-going uncertainty and challenges in administration caused by the Giwa saga.

The Giwa Saga

A fortnight ago, with the backing of the Nigerian Sports Minister, Giwa who claims he had won the 2014 NFF Presidential elections seized control of the Federation Headquarters despite the former asking for a re-election.

On day of the 2014 election, former NFF president Aminu Maigari, his General secretary Musa Amadu and executive committee member Christopher Green were detained by Nigeria’s State Security Forces which prompted almost two-third of the delegates to stage a walk out. Only 12 out of the 44 delegates were present for the voting.

For that reason, FIFA refused to recognise the election that ushered Giwa into office, pointing to third party interference and had previously threatened to ban Nigeria from all football activities if they leave Giwa in office.

Despite the controversy, Giwa who is under a worldwide FIFA ban, in accordance with article 1366ff under the disciplinary code, claims he is the rightfully elected President according the Supreme Court ruling and High Court judgement’s decree.

The state minister insists he was directed to follow the orders of the court which ruled that Chris Giwa be given recognition pending the determination of the motion on notice in the filled case and that the ban of the Executive committee elected on August 26th 2014 from the NFF football activities was null and void.

The league had taken a break with Lobi Stars topping the log, two points ahead of Akwa United with 24 matches played.

Failure to resolve the impasse ushers Nigeria in state of uncertainty as the West African nation risk  a FIFA ban which could affect home based players development and who are currently on high demand all over Europe.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in SOCCER

Translate »