Connect with us


Misfiring Super Eagles Held To A Goalless Draw By Cameroon

Super Eagles of Nigeria played out a 0-0 draw against Cameroon in their international friendly at the Stadion Wiener Neustadt in Austria on Tuesday night.

Cameroon got off to a bright start with Nicolas Moumi Ngamaleu getting the better of experienced Jamilu Collins on a few occasions in the early exchanges.

Nigeria gradually got into their rhythm and almost found the opener in the 10th minute after some good combination play by Alex Iwobi and Moses Simon, but the latter opted to square the ball back instead of shooting in the area.

The Super Eagles looked good in spells especially when in possession of the ball, but their slow build-up play often allowed the Cameroon defence to regroup and get numbers behind the ball.

Paul Onuachu and Iwobi were both gifted opportunities as they were put through on goal, however a mixture of good goalkeeping and poor finishing kept ensured the scored remained level.

Maduka Okoye made a fine save to deny Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting in the 39th minute, as he dived to his right to keep out the midfielder’s stinging effort.

That proved to be the only meaningful effort on goal from either side, as they went into the break with the score level at 0-0.

Gernot Rohr opted for the introductions of Terem Moffi, Abraham Macus for Jamilu Collins and Paul Onuachu respectively.

Super Eagles dominated proceedings, but struggled to penetrate the defensive-minded Cameroonian outfit. Moffi wasted a glorious chance to put Nigeria ahead in the 50th minute shooting wide from inside the box.

Cameroon were content with a draw and sat back the more the game continued with the Super Eagles’ wave of attacks resulting to nothing.

Kelechi Iheanacho had a late chance to seal the game when Jean-Claude Billong intercepted the ball from the out-rushing goalkeeper, but he failed to get his shot underway, before Ahmed Musa had his last minute header tipped over the bar by Devis Epassy.

Nonetheless, the score remained goalless as the referee brought an end to proceedings in the second half.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »