Connect with us


Kariakoo Derby Ends All Square

The much-anticipated firework match pitting two arch-rivals, Yanga and Simba ended in a 1-1 draw at Benjamin Mkapa Stadium in Dar es Salaam this evening.

Simba opened the score sheet in the 14th minute of the game through their forward  Augustine Okrah, but the Citizens neutralized the lead on the stroke of halftime through striker Stephane  Aziz Ki.

Clatous Chama had a clear chance to give Simba to an early lead in the seventh minute after making a great run behind the defense but Yanga custodian Djigui Diarra stretched wide punching the ball away for a corner.

A minute later, Fiston Mayele found himself in a similar position but the onrushing Aishi Manula pressured him to miss the target by inches.

Six minutes later Simba were up 1-0,with Augustine Okrah latching on Clatous Chama’s pass before steering a low shot past goalkeeper Diarra for his fourth goal in as many matches.

After that fast and furious opening quarter hour, the game settled into a more placid rhythm, with Simba generally seeing more of the ball and looking to take pot shots, though they rarely bothered Diarra.

The Citizens tried to use their pace on the break, but the likes of Tuisila Kisinda, Jesus Moloko and Feisal Salum were not able to influence the game, leaving Aziz Ki and Fiston Mayele feeding off scraps.

Yanga got themselves back on level terms in the 45th minute, via a confidently-struck freekick from Azi Ki. The foul was won by Moloko, who was tripped outside the area by Mzamiru Yassin.

In the early minutes of the second half saw the Simba up their game, though it was Ynaga who so nearly claimed the third goal of the game on the hour mark.

An overlapping Kisinda saw his shot from a tight angle hit the chest of Manula – the rebound then fell kindly for, Moloko who steered a shot beyond the ‘keeper and on target, but his effort was heroically cleared off the line by Onyango.

On 66th minutes the Msimbazi Reds had another chance to take the lead, with Okrah again threatening as he had a quick turn and stabbed shot from the left of the box, but Diarra saved well with his feet.

Mayele then nearly scored an absolute beauty, whipping a right-footed shot from just outside the box that left  Manula rooted to the spot and looked destined for the top corner only to flash narrowly wide of the mark.

Simba had offered little in attack for most of the second half, but they finally caused problems for Yanga on 86 minutes when Clatous Chama sprinted down the left and clipped in a cross which was deflected off a defender, but Diarra did well to claim the dangerous ball.

That proved to be the last attacking highlight at either end, with the Kariakoo rivals ultimately settling for a share of the spoils.




Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »