Connect with us


Harambee Stars Held By Uganda In Home Friendly

Kenya came from a goal down to hold Uganda to a 1-1 stalemate in an international friendly played at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani on Sunday evening.

Kenya came from a goal down to hold Uganda to a 1-1 stalemate in an international friendly played at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani on Sunday evening.

The Harambee Stars conjured a chance as early as the seventh minute through Kenneth Muguna, the Gor Mahia midfielder, forcing the Ugandan goalkeeper into an early save as the visitors went in search of a goal.

Despite showing early promise, Harambee Stars were under the pump for most of the first-half as Uganda took control of the game, with the Cranes’ speedy wingers causing the hosts a constant headache down the flanks.

Patrick Matasi was himself called into an early save with ten minutes on the clock. Egypt based Emmanuel Okwi teeing up Allan Okello, but the St George shot-stopper was up to the task – making a good save to deny the visitors a goal.

At the other end of the park, Lawrence Juma had a chance to stamp his authority on the clash following a pin-point ball into the area by Ayub Timbe. Following all the talk leading up to his debut, the Gor Mahia midfielder was presented with the perfect opportunity, but he could only manage to guide his header-attempt harmlessly wide of goal in 14th minute.

Indecision at the back led to the opening goal of the game following a moment of madness by Olwande, who again found life difficult against the neighboring nation.

Olwande was easily beaten at the defence as he missed the ball which was easily picked inside the box by Ittihad Alexandria’s forward Emmanuel Okwi, who sent the ball into the back of the net in the 25th minute.

Uganda should have made it 2-0 on the half-hour mark, but with Matasi stranded, Allan Kyamabande could only succeed in guiding his header wide with the goal at his mercy.

Francis Kimanzi’s charges were under constant threat for the remainder of the half as Uganda bombarded down the wings, stretching the Harambee Stars defence and providing a constant supply of crosses into the box.


Kenya were dominant in the second period, relentlessly pressing forward with John Revita and co. remaining firm in front of Lukwago’s goal.

Their efforts were rewarded in the 52nd minute when Miguna struck back after Timbe used his pace down the left-wing, cutting inside the opposition 18-yard area to send his shot to Gor Mahia captain for the equalizer.

At the other end of the park, chances dwindled for Cranes as opportunities were limited to long-range efforts which failed to trouble Harambee Stars’ keeper Matasi.

A host of substitutions resulted in a stop-start game in the final 30 minutes, yet Harambee Stars still held the majority of the ball but failed to convert any of chances.

The game petered out in final stages with no clear-cut chances as the scoreline remained unchanged from the first period, 1-1 being the final result.

The Teams

Kenya XI: Patrick Matasi, Samuel Olwande, Eric Ouma, Mike Kibwage, Joash Onyango, Collins Agade, Lawrence Juma, Kenneth Muguna, Ayub Timbe, Eric Johanna, Michael Olunga,

Subs: Farouk Shikalo, Johnstone Omurwa, Brian Otieno, Cliffton Miheso, Francis Kahata, Duke Abuya, Whyvonne Isuza, Cliff Nyakeya, Boniface Muchiri, Enosh Ochieng.

Uganda XI: Charles Lukwago, Willa Paul, Mustafa Kizza, Revita John, Timothy Awany, Khalid Aucho, Taddeo Lwanga, Allan Okello, Luwagga Kizito, Emmanuel Okwi, Allan Kyambadde,

Subs: Joel Mutakubwa, Mujuzi Mustafa, Halid Lwaliwa, Muzamir Mutyaba, Bright Anukani, Fahad Aziz Bayo, Allan Kayiwa.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »