Connect with us


Dar es Salaam Derby Ends In A Draw

Simba came back from behind in the first half to earn a 1-1 draw against arch-rivals Simba at the Benjamin Mukapa Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Simba came from behind in the second half to earn a 1-1 draw against arch-rivals Simba at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The home side opened the scoring early in the first half through Michael Sarpong before Joash Onyango netted the equalizer for Maimbazi in the dying minutes of the match.

The first shot on target came for the Yanga in the seventh minute when the ball fell for Feisal Salum just outside the penalty area, but his low shot was saved by Aishi Manula.

Farid Musa had an even better opportunity at the other end a minute later when he went on a solo run from the left flank, only to drag his low shot wide of the far post.

Simba had the first real opening of the game in the 21st minute when John Bocco did well to find Clatous Chama, who headed wide of the mark from close range.

The Jangwani giants took the lead in the 31st minute from the spot following a controversial penalty taken by Michael Sarpong after Joash Onyango appeared to have brought down the Ghanaian import inside the area.

Simba were awarded a free kick on the left six minutes later as Pascal Wawa was brought down by Yassin Mustapha; Bocco went for goal but his effort dipped just over the crossbar.

Ditram Nchimbi had a great opportunity to double Yanga’s lead in the 40th minute when he was put through by Lamire Moro on the left side of the box, but the winger sliced the ball wide of the near post.

Yanga went into the break deserved leaders, having seen more of the possession, while they also created more chances than their Soweto counterparts.

Manula came to Simba’s rescue 10 minutes into the second half, as he tipped Feisal Salum’s stinging effort over the crossbar.

Jonas Mkunde had a quiet first half but he came close to netting an equalizer in the 54th minute when he curled the ball towards goal from the left side of the box, but Mnata reacted quickly to palm the ball over the crossbar.

Then just after the hour mark, the two sides were involved in a scuffle on the field but the referee had a discussion with both captains before allowing play to resume without further repercussions.

Farid Musa got his feet caught up and could only chest his foiled shot tamely at a grateful Manula, who was alone in the box.

Clatous Chama was put through on goal shortly afterwards but again could not beat Mnata in a one-on-one situation.

Simba leveled matters in the 86th minute, as Onyango rose well to head home into the far corner, after getting on the end of Mohammed Hussein corner.

Both sides pushed for a winning goal in the closing stages of the match, but they were both left frustrated and forced to settle for a point.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »