Connect with us


AFCON 2019: Uganda Held by Zimbabwe to a Draw

Uganda played to a 1-1 draw with Zimbabwe in Wednesday night’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Group A match played at the Cairo International Stadium.

Uganda played to a 1-1 draw with Zimbabwe in Wednesday night’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Group A match played at the Cairo International Stadium.

Simba SC forward Emmanuel Okwi put Uganda ahead with a right footed shot from very close range in the 12th minute.

Khama Billiat’s close-range shot caught some strong breeze that blew across Ronald Mukiibi as it went in over the head of Uganda goalkeeper Denis Onyango.

Uganda dominated possession in the first half. In the second half, the Zimbabwean showed greater urgency and had the better of the attacking play.

The Cranes, comfortable with the ball, organised and classy, edged a less coordinated Warriors in the first half and deserved an early lead.

They had a clear chance early on, in just the third minute, as Farouk Miya played Patrick Kaddu through in the right of the area, whose shot forced a save off the legs of Geroge Shigova.

In a high-paced first half, it took only seven minutes for Okwi to find space on the right to produce a low cross that Abdul Lumala shot high and wide.

Zimbabwe were always looking to catch Cranes on the counter and almost succeeded a minute later as Knowledge Musona got the better of Hassan Waswa, only for the striker to send his shot straight at Onyango.

Cranes did get the ball in the back of the net in the 12th minute through Okwi after Lumala Abdu’s shot was parried by back-up keeper George Chigova and the Simba SC marksman had a simple close-range finish.

But Sunday Chidzambwa’s men found the equaliser five minutes before the break as Khama Billiat’s right footed shot went to the bottom right corner from an Ovidy Karuru assist.

The second half was more of the same with Zimbabwe creating most of the chances, while Uganda looked to pounce on the counter.

Danny Phiri was the first man to test the goalkeeper in the 48th minute as he rose high to meet a free kick from Alec Mudimu, but he was denied by Wasswa on the line.

In the 64th minute, Billiat forced another save from the Uganda goalkeeper before Mabaso headed just wide six minutes later.

Onyango was called into action again in the 74th minute, palming a free-kick from Talent Chawapiwa over the crossbar, before blocking another good shot from Musona 10 minutes later.

In the final minutes, there was an end to end action as Chigova forced a good save from Lumala Abdu in the 86th minute before Timothy Awany saw his effort coming off the inside of the post a minute later.

Then in the 89th minute, Zimbabwe almost capitalised from another quick break which saw Billiat breaking free on the right, but he failed to grab his brace and a late winner as he shot wide of the far post.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Football

Translate »